Meeting Name: Accessibility Advisory Committee Agenda status: Final
Meeting date/time: 10/10/2019 4:00 PM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Sir Robert Barrie Room
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video:  
Attachments:
File #Ver.Agenda #NameTypeTitleActionResultAction DetailsVideo
TMP-24880 2  Item of Discussion - GCMUNICIPAL INNOVATION EXCHANGE (MIX) PROJECT WINDROW SNOW REMOVAL Sonya Favretto, Project Manager provided a presentation regarding the Municipal Innovation Exchange (Mix) Windrow Snow Removal Project. Ms. Favretto commented that this is an initial pilot project for seniors and persons with disabilities. She noted that the City is looking at different ways to bring innovation that would align with the strategic objectives. Ms. Favretto discussed slides concerning the following topics: · The objectives of the MIX Project; · An overview of RFP# FIN2019-164P Innovative Service Model for Clearing of Residential Windrows for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities; and · The proposed outcomes and solutions to having a MIX Project in place. Ms. Favretto highlighted that the request for tender closes October 28, 2019 and she asked the Committee to spread the word to any interested parties. The Members of Committee asked a number of questions of Ms. Favretto and received responses.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-24876 2  Item of Discussion - GCPRESENTATION REGARDING THE ACCESSIBLE GARDEN BEDS AT SHEAR PARK AND FUTURE COMMUNITY GARDENS K. Keckes, Urban Agriculture Coordinator, Urban Pantry provided an update regarding accessible garden beds at Shear Park and future community gardens. Ms. Keckes commented that the Urban Pantry is a program of the Canadian Mental Health Association and is funded the Ontario Trillium Foundation. Ms. Keckes advised that the role of the Urban Pantry is to provide education to the community on a food growing and food skills initiatives. Ms. Keckes advised that Shear Park Community Garden was built in partnership with the City’s official community garden program including 18 plot including raised beds for accessibility. Ms. Keckes highlighted that the largest community garden build just recently took place at the Eastview Community Park and will include accessible garden beds. Ms. Keckes discussed the accessibility concerns with the community garden located at Coulter Street. Ms. Keckes provided an update of Urban Pantry’s other community gardens such as Canadian Mental Health Association, BReceived  Action details Not available
TMP-24878 2  Item of Discussion - GCTHE BARRIE ARTS AWARDS A. Dyke, Culture Officer Development provided an update regarding the 2019 Barrie Arts Awards entitled “Artist beyond Barriers”. The Committee provided suggestions to Ms. Dyke related to accessibility for the Barrie Arts Awards. Ms. Dyke noted that the Barrie Arts Awards will take place on November 27, 2019 at Liberty North and that she will forward an invitation to the Committee members. The Committee approved the expenditure of funds from the Accessibility Advisory Committee cost centre #1026 500800 of $2,000.00 to sponsor the 2019 “Artist beyond Barriers” AwardReceived  Action details Not available
TMP-24877 2  Item of Discussion - GCACCESSIBLE BUSINESS RECOGNITION CERTIFICATE The Committee met and discussed Accessible Business Recognition Awards. C. Dillon, Accessibility and Diversity Specialist provided a background regarding the Accessible Recognition Awards. The Committee discussed their suggestions related to local businesses and institutions who they felt have made great strides in accessibility. The Committee made their selections for the local businesses for the 2019 Accessible Business Recognition Award to be presented at a future City Council meeting. The Committee will discuss revamping the Accessible Business Recognition Awards at a future meeting.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-24881 1  Item of Discussion - GCACCESSIBILE TRANSIT H. Morgan and D. Taylor of the Universal Transportation Sub-Committee presented their report to the Committee concerning Accessible Transit. Ms. Morgan and Mr. Taylor provided an overview of report and discussed the Universal Transportation Sub-Committee proposed recommendations concerning accessible transit. R. Meier, Chair suggested the Universal Sub-Committee contact the City of Guelph and Mr. Taylor contact the City of London about their accessible transit and report back to a future Committee meeting. The Committee agreed to invite staff from the Enforcement Services Department and Transit and Parking Strategy Department to the next meeting to discuss potential incentives for accessible taxis. The Committee agreed to invite staff from the Transit and Parking Strategy Department to a future meeting to discuss the recommendations proposed in the Universal Transportation Sub-Committee Transit Report.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-24879 2  Item of Discussion - GCDISCUSSION REGARDING SAFER SPACES TRAINING C. Dillon, Accessibility and Diversity Specialist provided an update regarding Safer Spaces Training. The Committee agreed that they would be interested in participating in the Safer Spaces Training. Ms. Dillon commented that she will work with staff in the Legislative and Court Services Department to coordinate this training.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-24904 2  Item of Discussion - GCACCESSIBLE TRICK OR TREATING PROGRAM C. Dillon, Accessibility and Diversity Specialist provided an update regarding the Accessible Trick or Treating Program. Ms. Dillon commented that the Accessible Trick or Treating Program is being sponsored by ReMax Realty. Ms. Dillon advised that residents can pick up free signs at the local ReMax offices in Barrie to display that would indicate to Halloween trick or treaters that your home is accessible.Received  Action details Not available